Tuesday, March 30, 2010

just for now.

Last weekend, the school paid for all of us to go to Naples. We all stayed at La Carafa di Madalonni, a beautiful bed and breakfast that used to be an Aristocratic home, where our rooms were gorgeous to say the least. On Saturday we all (the dance and theatre students) took class for four hours in a ballroom ten minutes away, which was a lot of fun and went by surprisingly fast. Over the course of the weekend, I devoured three whole pizzas and loved every bite, but by Sunday, I was ready for some other carb-filled food. Pasta maybe? On Sunday we took the train to Pompeii, which is probably one of the coolest places in Italy. Looking back, I had a great weekend, but I wouldn't say Naples is my favorite city in Italy. We were all warned numerous times before leaving to pay extra attention to our surroundings since the crime rate is high, so we were more or less on edge all weekend. Luckily, everyone made it back safely to the villa after stopping to get kebabs/gelato for dinner, which is turning into a post-weekend travel routine.

Classes this week are relatively tame and then its a three-day weekend in Cinque Terre. To quote Rick Steves, the travel guide genius, "There's not a museum in sight. Just sun, sea, sand (pebbles), wine, and pure, unadulterated Italy." Can I go there now, please? Hopefully the forecast will shift from rain to sun before Saturday, since the main attraction is hiking through the five towns. If not, I guess I'll pack my rain jacket? Oh wait, it's in my package that's been stuck at customs in Milan since March 1. Never have anyone send you contact solution overseas, because apparently it's chemical.

Now I'll leave you with a quote I stumbled upon recently:

The compelling thing about making art, or making anything I suppose, is the moment when the vapourous, insubstantial idea becomes a solid there, a thing, a substance in a world of substances.
-Audrey Niffenegger

No comments:

Post a Comment